Yankees’ Anthony Volpe Targets April Return After Shoulder Surgery

7

New York Yankees shortstop Anthony Volpe will miss the March 25 season opener as he continues recovering from left‑shoulder labrum surgery performed on October 14. While he won’t break camp with the team, Volpe is optimistic he can return sometime in April as his rehab progresses.

The 24‑year‑old began a hitting progression this week, starting with dry swings — no baseballs yet — and expects to advance to tee work and soft toss in the coming days. “My body’s ready to go defensively and running,” Volpe said. “The hitting will be what we work through next, and judging on how everything’s gone so far, I’m just excited.”

Injury Origin and 2025 Struggles

Volpe injured the shoulder on May 3 but returned to the lineup just two days later. The lingering damage, however, affected him for much of the season. He received two cortisone injections and battled through discomfort while trying to stay on the field.

The numbers reflected the struggle. Volpe hit .212 with 19 home runs and a career‑high 72 RBIs, but his swing mechanics and consistency were clearly impacted. His postseason performance underscored the issue — he went 1-for-15 with 11 strikeouts in the AL Division Series against Toronto, making an out in his final 13 at‑bats.

Surgery More Extensive Than Expected

Initial imaging suggested a moderate repair, but surgeons discovered more damage than anticipated. Volpe said he wasn’t surprised when he woke up and learned the full scope of the procedure. “We kind of had an idea of what the best case and what the worst case would have been,” he said. “I wasn’t shocked. I was just more excited — and in pain — and motivated.”

Despite the setback, Volpe has attacked his rehab with energy. His defensive work and running progression are already at full speed, leaving only the hitting component before he can return to game action.

What His Absence Means for the Yankees

Volpe’s early‑season absence forces the Yankees to adjust their infield alignment, but the organization remains confident he’ll reclaim his role quickly once cleared to hit. His combination of defense, speed, and emerging power remains central to the team’s long‑term plans.

If his recovery continues on schedule, the Yankees could have their starting shortstop back before the end of April — a welcome boost for a club aiming to rebound from last year’s postseason disappointment.